Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Introducing Harry Potter to Jake

Like most of you, I too am a huge Harry Potter fan. Last year I started reading the first book to Jake but it ended up taking us about a year to get through (I realise now that age six was a litle too young for him). Half way through the book I took a six month break as my patients wore thin as I had to explain what was going on every few sentences, I had to explain all the new magical words, help him figure out all the characters etc... Right before first grade ended I decided to give Harry Potter another try and this time Jake was completely ready. Instantly he was hooked to the story, characters and could follow the plot. We finished the second half of the book in about a month and we loved every page.



Photobucket



I promised Jake that after we read each book we would watch the movie. We made a big night of it and I have to admit that I really enjoyed the movie as I haven't seen it since it first came out in theaters. Jake on the other hand was a little upset as it skipped a lot of the book - at the end of the movie he stated very sternly and kind of grumpy "the book is way better than the movie".




Photobucket



Soon after, we started reading Chamber of Secrets and we finished it in about six weeks. Jake again loved it. It's been fun watching him live in Harry Potter world. I can tell that it's always on his mind as he's always talking about it and asking questions and trying to solve the mysteries. (This time he enjoyed the movie a lot more than the first time as he was more prepared of what to expect - but he still loves the books more).



Photobucket




We're now half way through the 3rd book and we're still loving every second of it. I remember my first time reading Harry Potter and falling in love with it as I was transported into the Harry Potter word, I also remember thinking to myself that one day I'll get to read these amazing and extrodinary books to my children. And, here I am living this dream and loving it more than I thought I would.



I'm so thankful that Harry Potter has introduced Jake to a magical, imaginative and incredible world but what I'm most thankful for is that Harry Potter has given Jake and I something in common and have bonded us in such a special way. I know I'll never forget these special evenings reading to my son and I hope he will always remember sharing Harry Potter with his Mom.

1 comment:

  1. Last week I had an 'idiot' friend sit and tell me and a group of other Harry Potter fanatics that she didn't like the books....I wanted to slap her. Don't care that she didn't like them, just bugged me that she had to share her opinion. People need to learn when to STOP talking or don't start in the first play. Anyways....I'm so glad that Jakes loves these books so much!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Courtney and Baby Lydia

Courtney and Baby Lydia
Courtney and her favorite Baby. Baby Lydia. How do I explain to her that baby has moved away? Breaks my heart!!!!

My hot husband!!

My hot husband!!

Mom and Courts morning routine. Hair & teeth time!

Mom and Courts morning routine. Hair  & teeth time!

Sarah's 23rd Birthday! LOL!!!

Sarah's 23rd Birthday! LOL!!!

St. George

St. George

Jake swimming in Pine View

Jake swimming in Pine View

Jake and Coco with Cousin Tyler hanging out in St. George

Jake and Coco with Cousin Tyler hanging out in St. George

Coco kissing Chucke Cheese

Coco kissing Chucke Cheese
We took Jake and Coco to Chucke Cheese for their first time. We all had a blast!

almost kissing counsins. Too cute!!!

almost kissing counsins. Too cute!!!