Saturday, September 12, 2009

On Your Mark.. Get Set... RUN!

I am totally proud of myself. Today I ran my very first 5K. My good friend/neighbor and I have been running 3 or 4 times a week since June. At first we were running to get into shape but as the summer ended we thought "wow, we are awesome runners lets try a 5K". So today we did one and we loved it. Before I go on I have to point out that I have never, ever, ever been a runner. After my Mom ran a half marathon & then seeing all my friends run I figured I would try it. It took me forever to like running. The first month I absolutely hated every second of it, I remember coming home after a run and telling Scott that I did not understand why people run as it is complete torture. But gradually it started getting a little easier and now it is actually kind of fun. It was fun to train with my friend who was also a 'non' runner. We laugh when we think back to our first days of running when we couldn't even run a mile and when we finally did run a mile we wanted to die. LOL!!! Amy & I are now to the point that we can talk the entire time we run. I look forward to my nightly runs, not for the exercise but for the "girl talk".

Here is a picture of my friends & I after the race. The race was in West Haven "Run For Cancer". My friend Lacey (3rd from the left) ran it in 23 minutes. Wow! Angie (2nd from the left) pushed a stroller with two kids and beat me by 2 minutes. WOW!
Here is Amy and I at the finish line! We averaged a 9.14 mile which is our personal best. We are going to run another 5k next weekend as we learned three lessons. #1. Warm up before you run. #2. Get positioned at the front of the group. #3. Go to the bathroom before the race.

Here I am with Amy. We did it & we didn't die! YEAH!!!

It was way fun to see Scott & my kids at the finish line. Thanks Scott for waking them up early & bringing them! After the race when I went over to talk to them, Jake whispered in my ear "Lacey beat you". Jake was really quite disappointed that I didn't "win". I tried to explain to him that everyone who finishes the race is a winner but he gave me a weird look and I could see in his eyes that he didn't buy it. Maybe next race I'll make my 5 year old proud!

2 comments:

  1. I am so sad I missed it. Darn work!
    Congrats on your great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Congrats on your first 5K! It's one thing I never plan on doing . . . we'll see. :)

    ReplyDelete

Courtney and Baby Lydia

Courtney and Baby Lydia
Courtney and her favorite Baby. Baby Lydia. How do I explain to her that baby has moved away? Breaks my heart!!!!

My hot husband!!

My hot husband!!

Mom and Courts morning routine. Hair & teeth time!

Mom and Courts morning routine. Hair  & teeth time!

Sarah's 23rd Birthday! LOL!!!

Sarah's 23rd Birthday! LOL!!!

St. George

St. George

Jake swimming in Pine View

Jake swimming in Pine View

Jake and Coco with Cousin Tyler hanging out in St. George

Jake and Coco with Cousin Tyler hanging out in St. George

Coco kissing Chucke Cheese

Coco kissing Chucke Cheese
We took Jake and Coco to Chucke Cheese for their first time. We all had a blast!

almost kissing counsins. Too cute!!!

almost kissing counsins. Too cute!!!